The enormous D-M Street project to connect Sound commuter rail to South Tacoma and Lakewood is well underway. If you have children who like big holes, or love seeing dirt move, I highly recommend visiting some of the Dome District businesses. Cheers has a particularly good view.
Sound Transit just sent out this work update:
* Crews are forming and placing concrete to create new walls within the Pacific Ave corridor.
* Excavation and hauling of soils will continue on Pacific Avenue. Crews have nearly completed excavating to final grades in Pacific Avenue.
* Work on the B Street gully bridge continues with drilling shafts and installing rebar cages for bridge piers. From Monday, Oct 3, through Saturday, Oct. 8, crews will work 24 hours per day to complete this work. A noise variance has been obtained to perform night work. Temporary sidewalk closures may be in place along the south side of East 25th for pedestrian safety.
* Once crews complete drilling shafts and installing rebar cages in the B Street gully, crews will move to A Street to drill shafts from Monday, Oct 10, through Saturday, Oct. 15. This work will take place at night and traffic control will be in place from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. with the closure of A Street from 25th to 26th Street. A noise variance has been obtained for this work.
* Utilities work continues with the installation of storm and sewer pipe down 26th Street, and electrical upgrades at the intersection of Pacific and South Tacoma Way.
* Crews are excavating and installing soil nails along the track corridor from Pacific Avenue to M Street. Traffic control will be in place on South Tacoma Way during this excavation.